Oz Supermarket is a new retail chain that is setup to reduce exit queues at the check out point. It encourages customers to come in, grab what they want and leave the store. To achieve this goal, it has embarked on the following:
1) The chain stocks only household, stationery and non-perishable goods.
2) It has adopted PayWave technlogy entirely. It does not accept cash. A customer waves his/her card at the entrance and is allowed entry. Special RFID readers are installed in trolleys. When an item is selected or picked, it is automatically queued for payment. If it is removed, the item is deleted. Customers bag their items as they shop. When shopping has been completed, the customer merely exits the store. The total is automatically charged to the card used as the customer walks out of the store. No queues at the check-out.
3) Customers without a PayWave card (eg. tourists and children for example) may approach the front desk to put a temporary cash deposit. They will be issued a store-issued PayWave card that will allow them to shop. They will still be able to exit the store like other customers. The balance is returned in cash or recorded so it can be used for future purchases. If the amount is insufficient to cover the purchases, an alarm will ring.
4) Tagging every item with an RFID chip incurs extra overheads. The store absorbs this cost in the interest of customers who are in a rush.
5) Shopping summary stations strategically placed throughout the stores allow a customer to view in detailed list of items that is in their trolley.
6) Store car parks are also timed by the minute during the peak shopping period. In non-peak periods, car park rates are lower. Disabled parking is free.
Question 1 (1000 words)
Write a well presented report for the above outlining the business operation. Provide three recommendations that are well substantiated with journal literature and referenced correctly. (You may use the reasons/justifications above or use your own that supports this change).
Question 2 (1000 words)
Provide an additional option to the above suggestion to improve customer service.
Provide three suggestions into improving business service/operation offerings such as customer feedback, product quality review, etc, substantiated with current literature.
All referencing to be done in APA 6th edition.