Siegal, L. J., & Worrall, J. L., Essentials of Criminal Justice, 9th Ed., Cengage
other book can be use as well
- List the problems faced by today’s police departments that were also present during the early days of policing.
- Distinguish between the duties of the state police, sheriffs’ departments, and local police departments.
- Do you believe that the general public has greater respect for the police today than in the past? If so why? If not, why not? .
- What are some of the technological advances that should help the police solve more crimes? What are the dangers of these advances?
- Should the primary police role be law enforcement or community service? Explain.
- Should a police chief be permitted to promote an officer with special skills to a supervisory position, or should all officers be forced to spend “time in rank”? Explain your answer.
- Do the advantages of proactive policing outweigh the disadvantages? Explain.
- Explain the concept of broken windows policing. Why might it be successful?